Saturday 10 December 2016

5 things in 5 weeks

Slight different slant on this post. I hate to go down the whole 'finding myself' route but I've certainly met some awesome people and seen some crazy shit in Asia that I'll never forget! It's taught me some pretty cool stuff along the way...

1. "The world is a beautiful place full of kind people". This is something someone I met told me he likes to believe, and I can honestly say that so far my experience has proven this. People are sceptics and when I let go of that I've found that my days are so much better. 

2. People in England need to chill out. In England we work to retire and lead a luxurious lifestyle. In Asia people work to support themselves and live to enjoy their lives. 

3. Eat where the local people eat. Some of the best meals I've had are crouched on the world's smallest plastic chairs outside on a street for £1.50. Some of the worst have been those in pristine restaurants that cost 5x as much. The locals know good food. 

4. You can learn more about a country by talking to the local people than you can visiting every museum. It's been hard to manage my time in Asia but I've accepted now that skipping a tourist attraction to see the 'real' parts of a place is the best thing I can do. 

5. I really like my own company. Turns out a comp prep (or 4) is the perfect thing to set you up for solo travelling! Those hours of lonely cardio mean that now I can explore happily on my own for hours and hours. Yes I've met people I've had fun days and nights out with. But some of my best days and have been spent alone walking, exploring and talking to everyone I meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment