Wednesday 14 December 2016

Northern Vietnam

I can't believe I'm in the final country of my mini Asian adventure. All it has reaffirmed is that Asia and I have unfinished business... I will be returning!

Vietnam has so far been the most beautiful place I've visited. The cities are busy but spotless and the people are so so friendly! Despite the initial similarities between Hanoi and the Cambodian cities I have visited, the comparisons stop there. The architecture in Vietnam is more beautiful, the food is much fresher, and the people are infinitely friendlier! Not once did I feel like I was being taken advantage of or overcharged for anything and the only reason people stopped me in the streets was to ask if I needed help with directions or to ask if I wanted to join them for a beer! 

In Hanoi I mostly spent my days visiting the museum and talking to locals by the lake. I also went to watch a water puppet show (that was weird). From Hanoi I booked a trip to the beautiful Halong bay where we cruised through the bay, kayaked at sunset, ate delicious food on board our ship, explored the nearby islands and did tai chi at sunrise. One of the highlights without a doubt!

Next stop was Phong Nha which turned out to be one of my favourite places so far. Dark cave was a highlight, which involved ziplining down to the caves, swimming into the river to reach the entrance, then we arrived at a mud bath inside the pitch black cave, where the density of the mud makes you float above the muddy water. Absolutely incredible! The scenery in Phong Nha was breathtaking! We also had an experience where we decided to visit The Pub With The Cold Beer where you can kill your meal. Kyle took one for the team and we watched on as our meal met his gory end. It was certainly an experience!! But followed by the best roast chicken I have ever eaten it was no doubt worth it. The randomness of Asia will never get old...
.
               



No comments:

Post a Comment