Monday 19 December 2016

A new perspective on religion

After a damp few days in southern Vietnam I couldn't have been happier to be reunited with the hot humidity of Malaysia (and the Indian food!)

Whilst I'd visited KL briefly before this was my first chance to properly explore the city. My first evening I set off in search of the Patronus towers, however on my walk I wandered past a Hindu temple with floods of people, smells of incense and strange music. I went to see what the commotion was and stood outside watching hundreds of people lighting candles, gifting coconuts and hanging wreaths around the shrine at the front of the temple, before lining up for food. As I watched curiously, I was ushered inside by a man telling me "come on in, the food is free". Upon entering another kind man came to speak to me, enquiring where I was from and offering to explain the details of their celebration to me. He told me details of the particular God the temple was devoted to, how we pray and how he grants wishes to those who desire something. I was then encouraged to line up for my dinner and sat on the floor to feast upon my Indian treats and sweet tea. As I ate I was joined by another Hindu man. He joined me and was discussing his interpretation of his religion. I have never heard anyone speak so openly before and was fascinated as he told me that the God is not a thing, but that it is the act of praying that focusses you on your goals and wishes, which makes you more likely to achieve them. I couldn't agree more, which made me think of bodybuilding and the goals of competing. Once this particular companion left, a 12 year old girl came over to talk to me. She was asking about whether I was married and was fascinated with how I can be 26 and still single! Ha however then she opened up about her beliefs that many men, particularly in her culture, can be controlling and that she and I should wait for 'good people'. What a wise little lady she was!

I have never been a religious person but this trip to the temple completely changed my perspective of religion. After being a part of this community for merely a few hours I started to understand why people get such purpose from belonging to a religion. I always perceived religious people as a bit misdirected, believing in some ethereal entity. However now I understand that for many people this isn't the case. Their belief in God is merely a way to ensure that they live as good people and try their best to achieve their goals.

I am so glad I never made it to the Patronus towers that evening! It was without doubt one of the best nights I had in Asia and I have never felt more welcomed by a group of strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment