Sunday 27 November 2016

Pub street in Siem Reap

Currently sitting having breakfast in a little French cafe I can certainly say the French influence in Siem Reap is one of my favourite aspects. Freshly baked bread available in little bakeries and at the road side sold at the hawker stalls.
When I first arrived in Siem Reap I wondered if I was even still in Asia! Bars, western food and white tourists (something I haven't seen a lot of in Malaysia for sure!) Filled the streets and it's a sure fact that Angkor Watt has brought the tourist trade to Cambodia!

On my first full day I went on a tour to Angkor Watt. Alongside a group of solo travellers we explored just a handful of the impressive temples built hundreds of years ago. It's impressive to think that so long ago the locals were building these giant intricately designed temples with no technology. Our guide told us the stories of the temples and their carvings, alongside frequent clips from tomb raider where many of the films featured. Finished with watching the sunset from the top of the 'mountain'. It was certainly an exhausting day in the sun but I'm so glad I went! When I arrived home I went to the hostel bar to chat to the other guests. I would 100% recommend downtown hostel to anyone. The friendliest staff and an atmosphere where they ensure everyone is included in the night out! With the owner taking us all to a local nightclub before heading into reggae bars down pub street. The evening ended at a bar cart in the streets where they serve drinks and have ports to play your own music. Like a private party in the streets!

Exhausted from the night before (I got up at 1!!!) I spent the following day at a lake with two new friends. There were little floating huts on a jetty where you can rent hammocks for $1 and we swam in the lake in dingies. This place was my highlight of Cambodia so far! Not a tourist or English breakfast in sight! It reminded me of what I loved about Malaysia. That night I went to the Phare circus, to watch an amazing production that told the story of a child affected by the Khmer Rouge. It was so emotional! With the dancing, acrobatics, music and an artist who painted throughout to represent the story.

Fair to say my first impressions of Siem Reap were definitely wrong. I'm just learning that in some places you need to look a little harder for the good parts...

No comments:

Post a Comment